What rights do I have as a victim?

What basic rights do I have as a victim?

Every victim has the following rights, regardless of whether criminal proceedings are initiated or a criminal complaint is filed:

    • You have the right to say what happened and how you were hurt. The police, the prosecutor or healthcare provider (doctor, psychologist) are obliged to listen to you and provide you with the necessary assistance.
    • All state authorities are obliged to take into account the situation you are in and your needs. If the questions of a police officer, prosecutor or judge hurt you, or if their remarks seem out of place, you have the right to report them and ask them to change the way they are speaking to you or asking questions.
    • You have the right to request professional support from one of the victim support organisations or from an intervention centre for victims of domestic violence. Professionally trained staff will help you with legal issues or provide psychological support. If necessary, they can help you arrange emergency housing, contact your family or obtain financial support.
    • The police and the prosecutor’s office have a duty to inform you about the possibility to file a criminal complaint, about the process and progress of criminal proceedings, and contacts to organisations that can help you. Upon request, the police or the prosecutor’s office will help you contact a victim support organisation, which will further address your needs.

What information will I receive?

If you have become a victim of a crime, you have the right to receive information that should be provided to you at first contact. First contact is typically the first responding police officer, prosecutor, doctor or victim support organisation.

This person should provide you with information in such a way that you can understand it and explain it to you properly. If you do not understand something, just ask. It is your right.

The police officer / prosecutor is obliged to provide you with information at first contact about:

  • the processes involved in filing a criminal complaint and the rights and obligations of victims / injured parties in criminal proceedings (e.g. the right to be accompanied by a confidant, to appoint a representative, to have materials delivered and to review the case file),
  • victim support organisations (contact details and the types of help and support they provide),
  • options to receive necessary healthcare,
  • access to legal aid,
  • the conditions for providing of protection if there is a threat to your health, physical well‑being or property (e.g. the possibility of expelling the perpetrator from the shared household, the right to file a claim for damages),
  • the right to interpretation and translation,
  • measures to protect your interests that you can apply if you reside in another EU Member State,
  • procedures for seeking redress in the event of misconduct by the police and the prosecutor’s office,
  • contact details for communication related to the case in which you are the victim,
  • procedures related to filing a claim for damages,
  • mediation procedures in criminal proceedings,
  • the options and conditions for reaching a settlement,
  • options and conditions for reimbursement of the costs of criminal proceedings.

Upon request, the police or the prosecutor’s office will help you contact a victim support organisation, which will further address your needs.

If you first seek medical help, staff at the healthcare facility is obliged to provide you with contact information for victim support organisations.

Victim support organisations will provide you with information about:

  • the form and extent of professional help and support and to which extent it is provided free of charge,
  • if they do not provide the professional support you need, they will refer you to another organisation which can help you,
  • victims’ rights, including the right to compensation,
  • the rights you have as an injured party or witness in criminal proceedings,
  • financial and practical matters.

What kind of help and support can I receive from victim support organisations?

Every victim has a right to receive professional help, support and assistance. This professional support is provided by victim support organisations accredited under the Act on Victims and other organisations providing support in a different extent (i.e. registered organisations provide help in the area of social services and not in the extent described below).

Accredited victim support organisation are obliged to fulfil conditions relating to professionalism, i.e. their employees have obtained a master´s university degree and have at least 3 years of practice. Usually, they specialise in certain category of particularly vulnerable victims in order to ensure high-level quality of specialised support.

Accredited victims support organisation provide either general support to victims or specialised support to particularly vulnerable victims.

General support to victims includes:

  • providing and explaining information on criminal proceedings, its course, rights of victims in criminal proceedings, on available support,
  • legal aid for exercising rights of victims,
  • legal aid for exercising rights of victims in the position of an injured party or witness in a criminal proceedings (e.g. legal representation),
  • psychological help,
  • counselling on further victimisation, its risks and prevention of repeated victimisation.

Accredited victim support organisation providing general help is obliged to provide the first consultation free of charge. If the organisation received funding from the grant scheme of the Ministry of Justice, it is obliged to provide help free of charge for at least 90 days and upon request for a longer period of time.

Specialised support to particularly vulnerable victims includes:

  • providing general support in the extent specified above,
  • providing crisis psychological intervention,
  • risks assessment relating to risk to life or health,
  • securing of providing of social services in an emergency housing (safe house) or specialised social counselling, if life or health of a particularly vulnerable victim are threatened.

Particularly vulnerable victims are entitled to received specialised support free of charge. This support is provided for 90 days and upon victims request (request can be informal, e.g. setting up of a next meeting with one of the employees) for a longer period of time.

Accredited victim support organisations can also operate as an intervention centre for victims of domestic violence. Intervention centres provide all help and support mentioned above. In addition, they proactively contact victims after receiving information from the police on expulsion of a violent person from a shared household. Within 72 hours, a regionally relevant intervention centre tries to contact the victim and provide help and support. It is your rights as a victim to decide whether to accept help and support from an intervention centre and you can contact any intervention centre later on if you decline the offer of help on the first contact.

Victims of domestic violence can reach out to any intervention centre and contact them anytime, there is no need to wait for the police or for expulsion of a perpetrator from the shared household.

Intervention centres provide help to all victims of domestic violence in their relevant region.

In case you are not sure which intervention centre or victim support organisation to contact, please contact any of them. Accredited victim support organisations cooperate in order to ensure that all victims receive help and support they need.

Where can I find victim support organisation?

The register of victims support organisations provides information on intervention centres for victims of domestic violence, accredited victim support organisations and registered organisations. It includes their contact information, specialisation on certain category of victims, type of help provided and region in which the organisation operates.

The register is available here https://www.justice.gov.sk/sluzby/pomoc-obetiam/subjekty-poskytujuce-pomoc-obetiam/



  • National hotline for women: 0800 212 212
  • Child safety hotline: 116 111
  • Missing children hotline: 116 000
  • Children’s helpline: 055/234 72 72
  • Human trafficking hotline: 0800 800 818
  • Nezábudka (Mental Health Hotline): 0800 800 566


  • Integrated Rescue System: 112
  • Police: 158
  • Centre for Labour, Social Affairs, and Family hotline to report neglect: 0800 191 222
  • Prosecutor’s office for reporting domestic violence: 0800 300 700
  • Ministry of Justice for compensation: 02/888 91 544
  • Information offices for victims in regions (provide basic information and help with contacting victim support organisations)


  • https://pomocpreobete.gov.sk/
  • https://detstvobeznasilia.gov.sk/
  • https://www.zastavmenasilie.gov.sk/
  • https://prevenciakriminality.sk/p/pomoc-obetiam/